THE COUPLES BOX ($160)*
Food staples for an “omnivore” couple or small family, for a week
- Produce Selection:
- a seasonal selection of fresh, local fruit and vegetables, either organic, or if not certified organic, the farms that grow them follow organic practices, and are often “beyond organic”; our produce farmers are mostly based in Ventura and Santa Barbara Counties, or within 150 miles of Los Angeles.
- Meat Selection:
- two or three cuts of pastured, organic, local meat, sourced from Jimenez Family Farms, Rancho San Julian, Dey Dey’s Best Beef, Rocky Canyon, Sonoma Lamb and Pork, (for example: a whole chicken, a pack of sausages, and steak; or chicken breasts, brisket, ground beef - each week a different selection). We fully support “nose to tail” eating, so will explore various cuts of meat, and always include instructions on how to prepare it.
- 1 x quart of fresh squeezed Orange Juice from Ojai (Friend’s Ranch)
- 1 x dried pulses, OR a mix, OR grain, OR pie shell etc.
- 1 x pack of nuts, seeds or dried fruit (from Peacock Farms, Fat Uncle Farms, Santa Barbara Pistachios, and others)
- 1 x dozen pastured eggs (Healthy Family Farms, or Lily’s Eggs) OR 1 x 1/2 lb. organic farm butter (farms will vary, normally Spring Hill Cheese) (EGGS & BUTTER ALTERNATE WEEKLY)
- 1 x “everyday” organic farm cheese (cheddar, ricotta, cream cheese, goat etc.) from California
- 1 x weekly regional specialty — olive oil, honey, balsamic, gourmet cheese, jar of artisan made jam, pickles, or conserves from sources such as Marcie’s Pies (Jimenez Family Farms), Roots (awesome jars of heirloom tomatoes), Julia Crookston/Bona Dea (conserves specialist who started at Chez Panisse), and others. Sources will vary as we taste our way through the foodshed. In this box, we will occasionally extend our reach to other food regions in California — Sonoma, and Fresno for example…
- 1 x Fair Trade product: a rotation of coffee, tea, sugar, rice, quinoa, chocolate. Investing in Fair Trade is our way of moving our food dollars into the greater community, as well as our own.
- 1 x recipes and suggested meal plan created by our team of farm to table chefs, to see you through the week
* Vegetarian $130